A Senior Copywriter, by definition, is a rare gem of creative and rational talents. They must be highly conceptual, perpetually motivated, and never idle in their pursuit of great thinking.
The requirements for this job are far more about talent, will, and hunger than they are about pedigrees and years of experience. We want someone who is an idea machine, who loves a nasty challenge, and who can show a parfait-style, layers-deep understanding of concept on even the simplest of assignments. And, Senior Copywriter is not code for “riding the coat tails of my super talented art director.” Rather, it is that rare person who can make people think, laugh, cry, and change in the same conversation. It is not for the weak-minded, the timid, the arrogant, or the lazy. This job is only suited for the confident, the relentless, and the frustratingly intelligent.
The Senior Copywriter is responsible for copy and concepts in the production of advertising. Working with the art director(s), the senior copywriter interprets concepts/copy into completed design. When the “big idea” for an ad originates from a graphic concept rather than copy, the senior copywriter supplies copy to complete the comp. This candidate will preferably have 5-10 years of agency experience.
Reports to the Creative Director.
- Works with art director(s) to develop ad campaigns and concepts of outstanding quality for interactive/web, print, broadcast, direct mail, out-of-home and other forms of promotion for agency and clients.
- Writes ads that help to build awareness of client brands, products and product benefits and help to stimulate sales.
- Strives for excellence in concept/copy, helping agency to gain recognition for excellent work in ad agency and business communities.
- Oversees copy for creative product from inception through completion to ensure a high level of quality and maintenance of concept through approval of design.
- Creates all advertising copy for approval, downloading into design/layout software, etc.
- Researches clients’ products/services/image to ensure ability to write accurate, on-target copy/concepts for assigned projects.
- Works with the creative director to develop and maintain text style templates for the agency and all clients, to assure consistent brand identity across all media
- Assures that all copy is checked and proofread by [other participants in process – production manager/administrative assistant/copy editor] at the draft and final stages of each project, allowing a “fresh set of eyes” to examine the work.
- Works to ensure copy/concepts serve the purpose of first and foremost promoting the client’s brand image and/or selling their product or service, according to the strategic creative plan.
- Assists in writing proposals, marketing plans, publicity, etc., as requested.
- Assists in drafting company newsletter; oversees production of agency newsletter.
- Contributes original material to agency blog on a regular basis.
- Maintains current software skills compatible with the needs of other creative team members.